Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Just one more to get off my chest.

Now I know what it is like to be born again. Coming out of a comma is my born again experience, and I guess you can say it was spiritual? Getting in touch with ones humanity is a spiritual experience. I don't remember the accident or much immediately before it. I do remember we had dinner at a friends house just days before, but only when I was reminded of it. That could be my age. I can be boy to some.
What I can recall after the crash is being showed the ex-ray of my shoulder replacement. It was hard to believe, but they had pictures and I had stitches. I was surprised to hear that I was in an accident. I was? Why don't I remember? They told me the date, but that meant nothing to me. Then I was told how long I was out. Really? Come-on!, How could that be? WHAT?
They did release me home to Rusty and the kids (my dogs) . I remember being in the kitchen and taking some drugs, that is it. Rusty says that was bad, way too soon, they should not have. I wouldn't stay in bed, and I was not supposed to take those drugs on the counter; those were for later, and I had bad balance. I fell in the bathroom, cut my head above my eye. Rusty had to put a barrier around the bed to be an alarm so it would wake him if I tried to get up out of bed again. He got no sleep. He called one of our neighbors who is a doctor. "Please help! I can't do this. "She arranged to put me back in, not in the hospital, but in a rehabilitation home. He said that I said I was just glad it wasn't the hospital, which I was told, was very uncomfortable for me with all that had been done to me. I am sure the brain protects one from these traumatic experiences . Thank God!
Healthsouth gave me a room with a roommate, and a bed with a screen around it that zipped from the outside, to keep me in. They had no choice ; they had been warned, I was a walker. Not a problem, I don't want to be trouble. They did let me out in the mornings with the days planned to help make me better. I was told where to go, what to do. I could do this, until..... My physical therapist put all these pieces of ripped-up foam around the floor and said, "pick-em-up", well I get dizzy pick-en-up things, so I kicked them all together, and picked them up all at once, reaching down only one time. "Here". " I wanted you to do it one at a time; to check your balance, see if you got dizzy." Well just ask me; "I do", or tell me what you want, I am trying to get my head back together. I was proud, I came up with a solution. This became an issue for me. Now I was pissed! Rusty said "let it go." But it was all I had, my world was not that big.
A week later Rusty brought me home. Healthsouth gave me a good report. His balance has improved, and he should be able to think more clearly now. I hope I do. I asked Rusty how did you know that it was time. "I missed you and need you home, besides you begged me."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home