Monday, May 22, 2006

Here I go again, back on that table

I have decided to have a second surgery on my shoulder. The Second Opinion Doctor has convinced me that he won't do me more harm. It's a long story, but I'm gonna do it. I want to beat this Heterotopic Ossification. My arm is doing much better but it will never have full range of movement (at least better range) if I don't have this crap removed. H. O. is a rare condition that only 10% of people that have serious head injuries and bone fractures get. They are not sure why these two things must occur, nor why only 10% get it, but I was in the unlucky group. It is bone mass that just starts to grow in muscle tissue like a cauliflower, it is not replacing the bone that had to be removed, nor is it useful. I remember feeling it growing in my shoulder, telling Rusty and the doctors that something was up, and now I have seen it with a CAT scan, it is there in my shoulder not just in my head (imagination). Nerves run by it to my hand and they have to cut open the muscles to get to it, then they chisel it out, fun! Six weeks of no use of the arm to let the muscles heal, then physical therapy to build them back. This former bodybuilder is looking forward to that part. Funny thing is, my shoulder never looked bigger, more massive, then it does now with this bone growth inflating it, but if must stop or I will look like a hunchback of Notre Dame, I do love Paris, but that is going too far. Surgery is scheduled for July 10th so I am trying to get every thing in order before the knife strikes. This time I am going in asking for the surgery, last time I was brought in unconscious and unresponsive, the doctors decided to amputate my shoulder bones and replace with metal without asking me. They have said it was better to do it sooner then later for healing with a good blood supply. So the original surgery was done the day after my car accident. Wish me luck!..............don't say break a leg! please

1 Comments:

Blogger Coco said...

Sorry to hear about a second surgery...but if it's in your best interest (health), then YES, do it! And YES, do it now while you are young and in good health- thistoo will help the healing process. I'll be thinking of you...and praying for that all will be well.

Hugs and Kisses.
Blessings.

8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home