Sunday, January 15, 2006

La Fiesta de Los Osos

The Bears have invaded Tucson and it was a wonderful encounter.
Every year at this time in Tucson, Bears from all over the country come to the Old Pueblo en-mass to meet, eat, drink, and do what Bears do to and with other Bears.
I have been to Bear events in other cities and always walked away with a smile on my face, and a chuckle, thinking this is too silly. I love Bears, hell, my husband is the oppitame of a Bear. At all Bear functions we have gone to, the Bears, upon having laid eyes on him, bow in respect and desired aw to him, as they pass me by, without even a glance.
Tucson does do it better then any I have been to. Which isn't to say that I have been to very many, the few I have gone to made me so over these things that I didn't care for them. The Bear Rondevou in San Francisco was always such a joke, there is even a group that call themselves "the Better Bears," as we refer to them as the "Barbie Bears," and of course their beauty contest, for Mr. Bear This or That. Bear Bust in Orlando Florida could have been fun, but their whole thing was about the beauty contest too. Here in Tucson, the Bear Fiesta was, I think, well planned and fun. As I look at the schedule I do see a Sticker Bear Contest and a Fiesta Bear contest, I have no idea what those are and I heard nothing about them, they didn't seem to be a main focus. What they did seem to focus on was outings and fun stuff. Tucson does have cool stuff visitors can easily do in and around town. Rusty and I are just now, thanks Bears, discovering things around here to do. Today we went to the Southern Arizona Wine Country. Yes it is true there is one, with good wines! I'm now impressed, loving wine and all.
Rusty enrolled us in the Fiesta events this year since we were planning our second and last Bonfire Party of the season this same weekend and thought it would be fun to invite the Bears as something fun to do out in the desert with the drum circle and the full-moon. We did make the mistake of not going to any of the planning meetings to offer it as an event for the Fiesta. What we did do was, as we went to register for the event, we thought that we would tell people that after dinner and social time people could come out to our place, Burlyboy Ranch. Some of the organizers let us know that we shouldn't expect much notice from the Bears that have arrived, but we could post invitations on the bulletin board which we did and told some people during dinner.
Well the party was a hit. It was not only Bears, but many of the regulars and some Bears that all said they enjoyed themselves, and looked forward to it next year. I certainly did enjoy the weekend and look forward to it next year, but we'll plan better. As for the clean-up all is back in place, but it could be difficult returning the clothing to some of the men that got naked, what were they wearing when they left?

No, we didn't find that much, just a couple of shirts.

3 Comments:

Blogger Coco said...

What do you mean by "Bears" and "Bear" parties, etc?
I seem to be lost in translation...

But am so GLAD that you enjoyed the "Bear" festivities : )
Bonfire and Full Moon sounds nice...

Take Care!

4:34 PM  
Blogger Rocko said...

Bears are furry and sometimes larger gay men, rugged, and masculine with facial hair a must. It started as an alternative to the Hollywood, model, or prettyboy look.
Rusty and I are Bears

6:05 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

I want to come for the next bear event... let me know in advance...

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home