Wednesday, October 19, 2005

I don't remember any of this

This is an email that Rusty sent to a friend just after my release from the hospital, those must have been good drugs! I hope!

Deni,

I thought I would give you an update on Rocko: He was home for one night Thursday to Friday, but was not ready to be home yet. He went back into the hospital on Friday afternoon; Misha and I waited for four hours in the UMC Emergency Room for the readmit. He should be transferred to HealthSouth TMC site for inpatient starting Monday Afternoon. While he was home, he was very agitated although manageable. He was having a problem staying in one place for more than a minute. He was also very unsteady on his feet. I was trying unsuccessfully to get help at TMC over the phone, when Misha offered her assistance. Within about 10 minutes she had the on-call Trauma Doctor on the phone who was part of the team that looked at Rocko. He told Misha Rocko should have gone home with something for agitation and prescribed "ambian" I believe. Misha went and got the prescription. This put him to sleep for about an hour. Then he was up one minute and down the next. He was walking and talking, but dreaming at the same time, saying crazy stuff. At one point I thought he was sleeping; I was setting the alarm in the kitchen for his 3 AM pain pills, when I heard one, then another, loud thud in the master bath. I went running and he had fallen and hit his head on the bathroom towel rack. I had to build a blockade on his side of the bed with chairs and stacked aluminum tumblers to wake me if he tried to get out of bed. Six or seven times in the night he tried to get up and out of bed. A couple of the times were really scary with him up talking, but still in a dream at the same time, and me trying to hold him in bed. He was much worse than I thought, and this is going to be much tougher than I thought! I am really hoping some of what he (we) have been going through are the drugs he is on. His TMC discharge was really rushed, and I was NOT provided any explanation of what to expect or would need to provide. The "in case of problems after hours" part of his discharge papers were not even completed. Thank god for Doctor Misha. She has been unbelievably supportive thought this whole ordeal. I don't know what I would have done Thursday night without her help.

As I said, Rocko should be at the HealthSouth TMC site starting tomorrow evening. He would know who you were if you showed up, and could carry on a conversation with you, but you would know he was still a little off.

The ordeal was on Rusty, I was just there physically not mentally, and do not remember anything. Good for me, not him.

1 Comments:

Blogger Coco said...

I am just in awe of God's gift to us-
Life and the body he chose for us!

How the body works, and heals itself!
Powerful!

Take Care!
Hugs*

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home